APPLYING FOR CLEAR CREDENTIAL
Question: “What is the process to apply for my Clear Credential?”
Answer: The Ventura County BTSAIC Program recommends for clear credentials through an online process. Instructions for applying will be emailed to all Year 2 and Early Completion Option participants by the first or second week of June (this is to allow time for academic advisors to update all participants' records and verify eligibility for the clear credential). Instructions will also be available for download on the Ventura County BTSAIC website and MyPDC©. The general steps for applying for a clear credential are:
1. The participating teacher verifies if they have completed all program and credential requirements to be eligible to apply for their clear credential. This is done by going online and checking the MyPDC© Activities section for the status of the activity called “Clear Credential Recommendation”. Statuses will be labeled “Eligible to Apply” or “Not Eligible to Apply”.
· If the status states “Eligible to Apply”, the participant has met all requirements and can complete a Credential Request Form (included with the instructions) and email to email@example.com.
· If the status states “Not Eligible to Apply”, the participant should check the status of their class attendance, portfolios and/or additional “outside” requirements (i.e., CLAD, CPR, etc.) to verify what still needs to be completed. Please contact an Academic Advisor at (805) 437-1320 or firstname.lastname@example.org regarding any questions regarding your eligibility.
2. Once we receive the completed Credential Request Form, it will be processed and the Ventura County BTSAIC Program will submit a recommendation for your Clear Credential to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). Please note that Credential Request Forms are processed in the order they are received and may take up to 2 weeks for our office to process it.
3. Once the CTC has received our recommendation, they will send you an email directing you to their website to complete the clearance and payment process. The CTC’s processing fees are currently $57 and paid by either Visa, Mastercard or debit card. Please note that the application fee is considered earned when the application is received and is not refundable (Reference: Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Section 80487).
4. Once you have completed the clearance and payment process, the CTC will issue your clear credential in approximately ten (10) business days. You can check on the status of credential by visiting the CTC’s website at: https://teachercred.ctc.ca.gov/teachers/PersonalSearchProxy.
Question: “The MyPDC website states I am not eligible to apply for my clear credential. How do I find out what I need to complete to become eligible?
Answer: Ineligibility is generally due to (1) not completing all the program requirements (i.e., class attendance or completing portfolios) and/or (2) additional “outside” credential requirement need to be met (i.e., CPR, CLAD, etc.); and/or (3) late fees are due. You can check your status on these items through MyPDC©. Click “My Pages” on the main menu:
· To check Class attendance: Click “Courses” then the “All” tab. Search for any course status that reflects “Did not Attend” or “Incomplete”.
· To check Portfolio statuses and/or if you have additional credential requirements: Click “Activities” then the “All” tab. Search for any Activity statuses that reflect “Needs” or “Incomplete”.
If unpaid late fees are the issue, please contact an Academic Advisor.
Question: “I have both a Multiple Subject and Single Subject Credential that I need to clear. Will BTSA clear both and if so, how do I do that?
Answer: Completing a BTSA Induction program one time will clear both a Multiple and Single Subject Credential and recommendation for both is done at the same time. However, recommendations for both clear credentials are done separately and will require two (2) separate fees of $57 each to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The process to apply for both a Multiple and Single Subject Credential is the same – you only need to complete one Credential Request Form.
· IMPORTANT NOTE: If you did not have both credentials at the time you were admitted to the BTSA∙IC Program and added the second credential at a later time, please advise an Academic Advisor so we can update your Credentials record to reflect both.
Question: “I would like to add another subject area/supplementary authorization to my credential. Can I do that at the same time I apply for my Clear Credential and if so, how do I do that?"
Answer: Yes, you can add another subject area and/or supplementary authorization at the same time you apply for your Clear Credential. However, this must be done by regular mail (not online). You will need to complete and submit a hard-copy credential application, all required documentation (i.e., CSET Score reports, official transcripts) and a money order or cashier’s check for the CTC’s application fee. The CTC can take up to 50-75 business days to issue the credential.
Question: “I submitted by Credential Request Form and the BTSAIC Program has recommended me to the CTC. However, I have not yet received an email from CTC to complete the clearance and payment process. How do I complete this?
Answer: The CTC’s email may have been caught in your email’s SPAM filter. You can directly go to their website at www.ctc.ca.gov.
1. Click “Renew/Apply Online” (DO NOT ENTER YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY # OR DATE OF BIRTH HERE!)
2. Click “Start the Student Applicant Login” on the menu on the left-hand side.
3. You should now be in the “Credential Recommendation – Applicant” webpage. Enter your Social Security # and Date of Birth. This should bring up your Clear Credential Recommendation. Check the box and follow instructions to complete the clearance and payment process.
Question: “I am eligible to apply for my Clear Credential, but my preliminary credential does not expire for a couple of years. Do I need to apply for my Clear Credential right away?”
Answer: We highly recommend that you apply for your Clear Credential as soon as you are eligible – even if your preliminary credential does not expire right away. Some districts require you to hold a clear credential in order to advance on their salary scale. In addition, legislation affecting teaching credential requirements is constantly changing. If you have not yet applied for your clear credential, you could be subject to any new requirements that are enacted.