The Ventura County Board of Education provides support and citizen input for county office operated educational programs, and community leadership on behalf of the county office and public education.
To fulfill these basic responsibilities, the County Board shall:
- Maintain a cooperative and supportive working relationship with local school districts, their school boards and community
- Collaborate with the County Superintendent so that the shared vision, goals and policies of the county office can be implemented
- Adopt, evaluate and update policies consistent with the law and the County Board’s vision and goals
- Maintain accountability for student learning in schools and programs operated by the county office
- Adopt the annual budget and review interim reports of the County Superintendent
- Approve the salary of the County Superintendent
- Review the real property audit and acquire or dispose of real property as necessary for county office schools and programs
- Adopt policies to ensure that a safe and appropriate educational environment is provided to all county office students
- Conduct appeals on student expulsions and inter-district transfers and conduct public hearings when appropriate
- Fulfill statutory responsibilities in connection with charter schools
- Provide community leadership on educational issues and advocate on behalf of students and public education at the local, state and federal levels
The County Board of Education meets regularly the FOURTH Monday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Ventura County Office of Education, Conference & Educational Services Center, Board Room, 5100 Adolfo Road, Camarillo, California.