Pupils who are expelled by a local school district governing board may appeal that expulsion to the Ventura County Board of Education. The Ventura County Board of Education has developed an Expulsion Appeal Process intended to ensure that community members know how to appropriately exercise their right to appeal and to provide the information necessary to assist in appealing an expulsion order.
The pupil/parent/guardian has the right to file an appeal of the expulsion to the Ventura County Board of Education within thirty (30) calendar days after the local district's decision to expel the pupil. If thirty days have passed since the date of the local board decision to expel, the Ventura County Board of Education does not have jurisdiction to hear the appeal.
It is helpful if the parties making an appeal understand that an appeal before the Ventura County Board of Education is not a rehearing, but rather a REVIEW OF THE RECORD OF LOCAL PROCEEDINGS to determine that all due process procedures were followed and that a fair hearing was conducted. Individuals are encouraged to carefully review page 3 of the Expulsion Appeal Process, "Scope and Limitations of the Hearing," and to contact Ventura County Office of Education at (805) 383-1902 with any questions.
How to File an Appeal
To begin the appeal process, the pupil or the person having legal custody of the pupil must complete the “Notice of Appeal Form” contained within the Expulsion Appeal Process. If parents wish to file a letter requesting an appeal, the letter must contain the following information:
1. Name, address and telephone number of parent or guardian of the pupil and the name, address and telephone number of the person, if any, representing the pupil.
2. Name, age, date of birth, and grade level of pupil.
3. School district of residence and school most recently attended by the pupil.
4. The date the local school board voted to expel the student and the date the expulsion became effective.
5. A written request for a copy of the transcripts and supporting documents from the school district.
6. A statement of the basis for the appeal that relates to one or more of the conditions as described in "Scope and Limitations of the Hearing" (page 3).
The completed Notice of Appeal Form (Exhibit 2), or letter requesting an expulsion appeal, must be received by the Ventura County Superintendent of Schools within thirty (30) calendar days after the local district's decision to expel the pupil. A written request for a copy of the transcripts and supporting documents from the school district must accompany the Notice of Appeal from Expulsion. Additional information regarding the procedures for an expulsion appeal is available in the Ventura County Board of Education Administrative Regulation No. 5144.3.
Public Information Brochure
The Expulsion Appeal Process form is available for download (click here); or it can be requested via telephone at (805) 383-1902; or you can visit our office at 5189 Verdugo Way, Camarillo, CA.