What is an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit and what does it authorize?
The Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit granted by the CTC that authorizes the holder to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom, including preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-12 inclusive, or in classes organized primarily for adults. The holder may serve as a substitute for no more than 30 days for any one teacher during the school year, except in a special education classroom, where the holder may serve for no more than 20 days for any one teacher during the school year.
The Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit is valid for 1 calendar year. Once you obtain an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit granted by the CTC (Commission on Teacher Credentialing), upon expiration of your permit, you may simply renew online via the CTC site https://www.ctc.ca.gov/
Ventura County Office of Education (VCOE) can assist you if you do not already hold a sub permit with the CTC (Commission on Teacher Credentialing) here in California. Please be aware that the CTC (not the VCOE) is the permit granting agency. The VCOE can recommend you online to the CTC if you are eligible for the permit.
If you wish to have the VCOE assist you obtain the 30-day substitute teaching permit online, we will need the following documents:
- Official transcripts with conferred bachelor's degree (or higher) posted to the transcript. PDFs are accepted as long as they are emailed directly from the university or the approved third party to email@example.com.
- Basic Skills Requirement - If you have taken the CBEST, you may send the scores as PDF via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
***If you would like your coursework to be evaluated to see if you meet basic skills based on college courses and you attended community college prior to your 4-year university, please provide the community college transcript(s). It is often the case that the community college coursework will meet the requirement for basic skills.
- The last requirement for the substitute teacher permit is valid livescan (fingerprints) specifically completed for the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). This is different than the livescan for your employer or employing school district.
- If you have not, already completed the livescan for the CTC and would like to make an appointment to complete the livescan here at the county, Click Here and choose the option of “For Commission on Teacher Credentialing Fingerprints: A0281 CCTC”
- If you would like to get the live scan completed elsewhere, take the form 41-LS to the livescan location of your choosing.
Once you have submitted official transcripts, proof meeting Basic Skills, and have completed the livescan for CTC, please email email@example.com.