Welcome to the Ventura County Mock Trial! Since 1983 the Ventura County Office of Education has partnered with Teach Democracy (formerly known as the Constitutional Rights Foundation) to provide the Mock Trial for our students.
Each year approximately 600 Ventura County middle and high school students experience the excitement of working in teams, exchanging ideas, setting goals, and examining issues while interacting with positive role models from their communities.
The winning county high school team is then invited to the State Mock Trial to compete with their peers from across California where many of our past teams have then gone on to compete in the National Mock Trial.
The Mock Trial is designed to clarify the workings of our legal institutions for students through first-hand experience. Students portray each of the principals in the cast of courtroom characters. Student teams study a hypothetical case, conduct legal research, receive guidance from volunteer attorneys in courtroom procedure and trial preparation, and present their case before volunteer judges.
Ventura county teams have enjoyed tremendous success in the Mock Trial.
- In 2008 La Reina High School took 1st place at the state competition.
- In 2011 La Reina High School took 1st place at the state competition.
- In 2012 La Reina High School took 1st place at the state competition.
- In 2013 La Reina High School took 1st place at the state and 2nd place at the national competition.
- In 2021 Trinity Pacific Christian School took 1st place at the state competition.
- In 2023 Ella Ochoa took 1st place Artist at the national competition.