The winning county team is then invited to the State Academic Decathlon to compete with their peers from across California where many of our past teams have then gone on to place 1st or 2nd in the USAD National Championship.
A particularly unique aspect of this ten-event scholastic competition is that it is designed to include students from all academic backgrounds. A team consists of nine full-time students from the 9th through 12th grades of the same high school. Each nine-member team is comprised of three students whose grade point average falls into the “A” category, three students in the “B” category and three students in the “C” category.
The mission of the United States Academic Decathlon is to: Promote and recognize learning and achievement by emphasizing the value of academic excellence for all students.
Ventura county teams have enjoyed tremendous success in the Academic Decathlon.
- In 1999 Moorpark High School took 1st place at the state and national competitions.
- In 2000 Simi Valley High School took 1st at state competitions, and placed second in the national finals.
- In 2002 & 2003 Moorpark High School took 1st at state: 2nd at nationals in 2002 and 1st at nationals in 2003.
- In 2006 Moorpark High School was the first team in history to score 100% on the Super Quiz at state.
- In 2008 & 2009 Moorpark High School took 1st at state and nationals.