Comprehensive Health and Prevention Programs
For Hearing Conservation Contact: 805-437-1380
Dawn Anderson, Director, R.N.
The Comprehensive Health and Prevention Programs (CHPP) Department assists schools and districts to support academic achievement and healthy behavioral outcomes for students in safe, supportive, healthy school environments with positive school climates. This is accomplished by providing quality professional development, leadership, consultation and technical assistance, and working collaboratively with many community partners. The department identifies current research and best practices and makes them available to district leaders for easy dissemination.
Through this department, VCOE leads a consortium of seven school districts with a TUPE (Tobacco Use Prevention Education) grant, which addresses not only tobacco use, but also substance abuse and violence prevention. In addition, the department provides leadership, technical assistance and support to four districts that each have their own TUPE grant.
General areas of focus for professional development, leadership, consultation and technical assistance include:
· Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drugs, and Violence Prevention Education
· Bullying Prevention and Intervention
· California Healthy Kids, School Climate and Parent Surveys, biennial administration and data evaluation
· Communicable Disease Control
· Comprehensive Safe School Plans
· Coordinated School Health Programs
· Health Literacy and Youth Development
· Hearing Screening, Education and Audiology Services (See Hearing Conservation section)
· HIV/AIDS Prevention Education
· Local Control and Accountability Plan (school climate and CHPP)
· Physical Fitness and Healthy Lifestyle Choices
· Positive School Culture and Climate
· Program Involvement – Help districts rewrite Goal 4 of LEA Plans
· Restorative Justice
· School Health Services
· School Nursing
· Suicide Prevention and Intervention
· Tobacco Use Prevention Education
· Youth Development
The department collaborates and partners with Ventura County Behavioral Health, Ventura County Public Health, Ventura County Sheriff’s Office, other community agencies and other departments within VCOE to plan, develop and implement programs and activities designed to support and enhance student health, well-being and positive school culture and climate. Direct health screening services are provided to small school districts.
California Department of Education (Health Services and School Nursing)
California Department of Education (Special Education)
Public Health - State of California
Public Health of Ventura County
Centers for Disease Control
Concussions: CDC "Heads Up on Concussions"
Food Allergy Resources
Ventura County Public Health - Child Health & Disability Prevention Program
Coping with Tragedy - Crisis Preparedness (CA Department of Education)
National Association of School Psychologists - School Safety and Crisis Response