The Academic Decathlon is a unique opportunity for high school Decathletes to compete against like teams of Decathletes. The top team participates in the statewide Academic Decathlon competition. A California team then participates in the United States Academic Decathlon which is the premier scholastic competition for Decathletes in America from both public and private high schools. The Academic Decathlon consists of ten academic events.
The mission of the United States Academic Decathlon is to: Promote and recognize learning and achievement by emphasizing the value of academic excellence for all Decathletes.
Each year approximately 250 Decathletes, in grades 9-12, actively experience the excitement of working in teams, exchanging ideas, setting goals, and examining issues while interacting with positive role models from their communities.
The winning team is then invited to the State Academic Decathlon to compete with their peers from across California where many of our past teams have then gone on to place 1st or 2nd in the USAD National Championship.
The Ventura County Office of Education inaugurated the first Ventura County Regional Academic Decathlon in 1982 and has continued to coordinate this competition on an annual basis. Ventura county regional teams have enjoyed tremendous success in the Academic Decathlon.
• In 1999 Moorpark High School took 1st place at the state and national competitions.
• In 2000 Simi Valley High School took 1st at state competitions, and placed second in the national finals.
• In 2002 & 2003 Moorpark High School took 1st at state: 2nd at nationals in 2002 and 1st at nationals in 2003.
• In 2006 Moorpark High School was the first team in history to score 100% on the Super Quiz at state.
• In 2008 & 2009 Moorpark High School took 1st at state and nationals.