DEAL Reflection Format
DEAL Model for Critical Reflection (Ash & Clayton, 2011) requires participants to examine their thinking and generates, deepens, and documents learning. When used in conjunction with staff discussion with a coach or mentor, it becomes a process to develop a collaborative Professional Learning Community that investigates a wide range of strategic content that includes classroom management, data analysis, coaching, and lesson study. DEAL Reflection is expected to be used with every Edge Up U learning session.
D - Describe
Objectively describe what you read, explored, or watched. Resist the temptation to use terms of quality, just tell what happened.
E - Examine
Examine the strategies discussed or viewed. How did it or could it impact student engagement, classroom management, content integration, and/or student achievement?
Now is your chance to use quality words and explain:
· What impressed you?
· Discuss what is similar or different from your current practice
· Discuss possible steps to implement this practice into your after school program
AL - Articulate Learning
· What did I learn (about myself, students, colleagues, community, program, etc.)?
· Why is this learning important for me as an informal educator?
· What will I do in my future practice in light of this learning?