1099 Reporting Concepts: - November 27, 2018 - 8 am - 4 pm
In this workshop, you'll learn best practices to ensure you ae properly setting up vendor accounts and payments to comply with Internal Revenue Service and California reporting requirements. You also will be updated on reporting requirements and pending legislation related to financial risks for increased penalties, as well as ways that destricts can use procedures to comply with regulations and reduce or eliminate any accessed penalties.
Maximizing ADA & Maintaining Compliance with Independent Study -
January 18, 2019 - 8am - 12:30pm
This workshop will provide you with tools to validate compliance with independent study laws. A properly implemented independent study program provides a valuable educational alternative to pupils and an ADA-increasing strategy for schools. You will hear the considerations for development, design, adaptations, and selection of procedures and forms for independent study. The class also will cover the details of statutory and audit requirements to help you avoid audit exceptions and loss of revenue. You will receive materials that include statutory laws, forms, operational procedures, applicable education codes, sample board policies, and model independent study agreements.
- Legal requirements for independent study
- student criteria for participation
- attendance accounting requirements and internal audit functions to assist in recognizing and avoiding common errors and audit exceptions
- guidelines, forms and procedures to aid in structuring an independent study program that maximizes Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance
Understanding RFP & Bidding Processes - March 11, 2019 - 8:30 am - 5 pm
This workshop will provide you with an understanding of the differences between an RFP and a bid, when an RFP can be used, the process for awarding based on best value, and components of RFP documents. Additionally, we'll discuss the prequalification process to comply with federal requirements for RFPs. The bid process segment will also cover the requirements for bidding goods and services, methods of award, and creating bid documents.
Pupil Attendance Accounting for Business Office Personnel - March 27, 2019 - 8:30 am - 5 pm
This workshop will offer valuabel information to individuals responsible for district-wide pupil attendance accounting activities with a focus on monitoring systems and procedures to facilitate compliance with statutory laws that pertain to pupil attendance accounting. You'll also receive an overview on statutory and audit requirements, including new legislation, to help you avoid audit exceptions.
Payroll Compliance & Calendar Year-End Reporting:
commonly asked questions and strategies to improve attendance accounting;
systems and tools for monitoring compliance with statutory school days/instructional minutes; and
strategies to improve pupil attendance; and
statutory provisions for pupil attendance accounting; and
board policies and procedures and education codes; and
attendance reporting and truancy laws; and
internal audit function; and
staff development for attendance personnel; and
audit guide update
Legal Aspects & Hands-On Accounting for Student Body Organizations - March 28, 2019 - 8:30 am - 5 pm
This workshop will teach you how to maintain an effective ASB program for grades K-12 with special focus on how to maintain fiscal accountability, legal compliance and accuracy within your ASB accounts.
- Overview of student organizations
- laws and regulations, including those pertaining to school food and vending machine sales
- forming the organization
- general business practices
- budgets and budget management
- fundraising events and cash receipt management and procedures
- class fees, deposits and other charges
- gift and donation income
- allowable and questionable expenses and cash disbursement management and procedures
- unallowable fees and charges
- equipment purchases and management
- student stores
- employees and consultants
- accounting and financial management
- effective district oversight
Year-End Closing - April 4, 2019 - 8:30 am - 5 pm
This workshop will cover both the basics and detailed aspects of the year-end closing process. You'll receive tips for a smooth closing, clearing prior year accruals, setting up current year accruals and developing a year-end closing schedule. Hands-on exercises will give you an understanding of federal interest calculation, categoricals, and actual unaudited SACS forms. There also will be a discussion of indirect cost rate and what the state is looking for, special education and maintenance of effort, and close-out considerations.
- Year-end reporting basics
- federal interest calculation
- Standardized Account Code Structure (SACS) forms
- indirect cost rate
- maintenance of effort