Superintendent: Dr. Roger Rice
The Ventura Unified School District aims to cultivate a wealth of diverse academic programs so that every student can explore their interests and passions through compelling and innovative programs, rigorous curriculum, quality instruction, and engaging learning environments.
This year we are focused on several initiatives that will enhance learning inside and outside of the classroom and better support our staff. Some of these include:
• Improve Student Achievement: We are committed to improving upon the work we do to ensure all of our students are prepared for their futures. This will require a multi-tiered system of supports, lessons designed to meet the needs of all students, and thoughtful review of student achievement data driving evidence-based practices.
• Educational Options: Creating alternative educational options for K-12 students who find a traditional classroom inconsistent with their needs.
• Facilities Master Plan: This plan looks at our District’s facilities needs and wants. We will provide opportunities for parents and the broader community to give feedback related to a whole host of additional funding sources including grants, school bonds, and creative partnerships with local businesses and agencies.
• Innovation and Career Technical Education: VUSD is committed to upgrading its career technical education offerings and creating a culture of innovation where facilities and programs support the varied career interests of our students. To that end, a recent restructuring of existing positions allowed us to hire a Chief Innovation Officer who will be responsible for supporting teachers and site leaders with the fundraising, grant writing, strategic planning, and implementation of these initiatives.
• The Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) addresses all of these goals. The LCAP will no longer be viewed as a compliance document, but as a strategic road map that is driven by meaningful stakeholder engagement and feedback. The district’s current LCAP can be found at bit.ly/vusd-lcap.
We want to collaborate with our community as we honor a tradition of excellence, meet challenges head-on, and grow to our true potential. I am truly excited about the future of our students and the Ventura Unified School District.